If you're like everyone else, BBQ's are on the mind! With the great weather comes an opportunity to get outside with friends and family over a refreshing meal. Try these side salads next time you're invited to a get together for a new twist on classic salads.
Southwest Chopped Salad with a Lime Cilantro Dressing
A twist on the traditional chopped salad
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn or 1 cob of corn
- 1½ cups cooked black beans (or one 15-ounce can)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 8 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese or Cojita cheese
Lime Cilantro Dressing
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, rinsed well
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons honey, to your taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- baked corn chips, crumbled fritos are the best
- Heat oil in a pan and add corn. Saute until corn gets some brown spots and caramelizes a little bit. Remove.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, avocado, red bell pepper, red onion, cucumber and corn.
- To make Lime Cilantro Dressing, feed cilantro leaves through food processor tube and process until finely minced. Add lime juice and process a few seconds. Slowly pour olive oil through food processor tube and process until dressing emulsifies. Add honey, season with salt and pepper, and process a few seconds to combine.
- Place a large handful of romaine lettuce on salad plate. Top with a few large spoonfuls of corn, black bean mixture, and 1 tablespoon of crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle a little Lime Cilantro Dressing on top. If desired, crumble some baked tortilla chips on top.
By Jeanette's Healthy Living
Deviled Egg PASTA Salad
A twist on the traditional potato salad
- 1 Pound Campanelle Shaped Dry Pasta (Can use Elbow Macaroni)
- 2 Cups Mayonnaise
- 4 TBS Yellow Mustard
- 2 TBS Brine from Pickle Jar
- 6 Large Hard Boiled Eggs
- 3 Ribs Celery, Very Small Dice
- 1/2 Medium Red Onion, Small Dice
- 1/3 Cup Sweet Relish
- Large Pinch of Sea Salt and Several turns of a Pepper Grinder to taste
- For Garnish use A Generous Sprinkle of Smoked Paprika
- Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the box. EXCEPT, for chewier Al Dente style cooking, boil for one less minute than recommended on package.
- Drain and shake dry. Do not rinse as this will wash away the starch that helps the pasta stick to the sauce (mayonnaise in this case), keeping your pasta coated and not runny.
- Remove hard boiled eggs from their shells, dice in large chunks (just slightly smaller than the size of the pasta.
- Combine all your other ingredient, except the eggs. You want to add those very last so you can fold them in gently.
- Add pasta to your sauce and mix well. Fold in your boiled egg. Garnish with paprika.
- Serve Chilled and ENJOY
by 52 Ways to Cook